It is a common practice in the oil and gas industry to use incandescent or high-pressure sodium (HPS) lights on remote compressor sites. The emergence of LED technology combined with industrial fixtures allows the implementation of more operator friendly lights and is more cost-effective than incandescent or high-pressure sodium (HPS) lights.
An oil company operates an oil facility in northern Alberta. Remote compressor sites transfer the oil to a centralized facility. Compressor maintenance is done on a 24-hour basis. At night, HPS lights are used to light up the work area.
HPS lamps generated light that is yellow to orange. To a large degree, it is invisible to the human eye and challenging to work under.
There are significant overhead costs with replacing burned out light bulbs on remote sites. This includes downtime while waiting for lamp replacement and extra labour to accomplish the task.
Re-lamping is required whenever the compressor is shipped over long distances.
The remote compressor sites are a potentially hazardous location. The oil & gas owners were looking for a way to reduce maintenance costs on their remote sites and improve overall operational safety during maintenance activities.
Incandescent or HPS lights offer a lower initial cost. An HPS lamp can provide a significant amount of lumens for a small investment, although most of the generated light is yellow to orange. These types of lamps are also susceptible to vibration.
Nemalux’s XCANLED technology produces high-quality light that is brighter than conventional outdoor lighting. Due to its solid-state design, LEDs are inherently vibration resistant; use less electricity, and last longer life than conventional outdoor lighting alternatives.
Based on proven experience with LED technology in industrial applications, Nemalux fixtures were selected for a trial run on a remote compressor.
Basis of recommendation:
- LED luminaires provide full spectrum light that can mimic daylight. Improve lighting (in comparison to HPS) and operational safety.
- Eliminate the need of re-lamping after shipping the compressor over longer distances.
- Significantly decrease the generator load and size of the generator.
- Provide a lighting package that is virtually maintenance free for 10-20 years.
- The return of the initial investment for such an installation can be as short as 1-2 years when considering the significant overhead cost of replacing burned out light bulbs on remote industrial and hazardous locations.