Reasons for upgrading to LED lighting
Improved visibility, reduced operational expenditures as well as reduced impacts on the environment are some of the key drivers for lighting upgrades in industrial facilities. In this article we will highlight some common considerations when switching from conventional to LED technology.
- Energy Efficiency – With sustainability and energy consumption at the forefront of all industries, LED luminaires are natural replacements to consider for aging legacy lighting systems. LED luminaires offer significant energy savings over their counterparts, ranging from 50% up to 90% depending on the technology currently in place.
- Lower Cost of Ownership – Substantially reduced maintenance requirements and increased reliability of certain solid-state LED luminaires can ensure a payback period of one to two years for challenging applications. While the upfront cost can be higher, the substantially increased lifetime, up to 10x greater in some cases, reduces the loss of productivity due to scheduled maintenance and associated labor overhead. Well-designed LED luminaires that provide adequate thermal management of all electronics can experience a substantially reduced rate of light output depreciation and in some cases provide as much as 80% of the original output after 10 years of operation. In comparison, legacy lighting technologies have a typical maintenance schedule for bulb and ballast replacements every two years.
- Superior Color Rendering – Color Rendering Index (CRI) measures how precisely a light source renders colors compared to a conventional incandescent light bulb. A value of 100 is considered the benchmark. LED luminaires are available with high CRI values and compared to older HID technologies that were as low as 25 CRI (High-Pressure Sodium) provide superior visual acuity.
1-Page Nemalux – HID Replacement Options
Critical Lighting Considerations for the Industrial Workplace
- Key deliverables should be safety, productivity, and visual acuity
- Poor lighting design strategies can have a negative impact on site operators
- Luminaire placement must take existing equipment details into account
- Lighting directly impacts human performance
- The average age of the operators can guide minimum illumination targets
- Evaluation criteria should not be limited to lumen output, lm/w efficiency, projected life and unit cost
- Uniform intensity levels can improve visual comfort, specifically for an aging workforce
- Over-lighting a workplace may have a negative contribution to safety and performance
- Using LED equivalency statements from marketing material should not replace a detailed lighting design
- Installation locations and aiming should be controlled to reduce or eliminate glare discomfort
- Color temperature and CRI selection may need to differentiate between exterior and interior luminaires
The MR is a unique multi-functional, feature rich light fixture based on our rigorous design, prototyping, testing and refinement process. Using industry leading manufacturing practices, our engineers and industrial designers were able to produce a fixture that not only exceeds the expectations of an HID replacement, but establishes a new benchmark in versatility for industrial LED lighting.
Nemalux NL fixtures are durable and robust linear luminaires designed to replace linear fluorescent fixtures in industrial and tunnel applications. With a projected lifespan of 60,500 hours. The NL is available in 2′ and 4′ lengths and can be surface-mounted or suspended from a ceiling. Up to 14.3K lumens output, IP66 rating, and optional CID2 Hazardous Location, multiple light output packages and easy field angle adjustment make the NL a flexible replacement for linear fluorescent fixtures.
The Nemalux BL LED fixture is a durable and robust linear luminaire designed to replace vapour tight fluorescent lights in industrial, marine, commercial and temporary shelter applications. The BL is available in 20W and 40W outputs and can be surface-mounted, suspended or mounted with an optional angle adjustable mount. With a projected lifespan of 60,000 hours and up to 4,400-lumen output, the BL is IP66 rated for indoor and outdoor applications.
Click above to see our wide range of industrial LED lighting solutions and case studies.
To discuss your requirements with one of our LED Lighting experts, call or email us today.