The Contract Manufacturing division of Nemalux Industrial, provides exceptional Original Equipment Manufacturing and Customization services for a wide range of applications. Find out more about how we can work with you to create a custom lighting solution that perfectly fits your needs.
Our team showcases a level of expertise from focused backgrounds in electronics, physics and mechanics, providing durable, turnkey solutions for clients that need customized solutions or wish to re-brand / white label their name on our fixtures.
Custom Design, Manufacturing, and Fabrication
Nemalux industrial luminaires have been designed to operate in a wide variety of extreme environmental conditions – temperature, moisture, hazardous locations, etc. Our entire design toolbox is available for custom design. In some cases, all that is required is a small design change of an existing off-the-shelf luminaire, and in others, a completely new design. Nemalux can handle the entire design spectrum.
We’ll do the heavy lifting for you with a turnkey approach that keeps you engaged at every step of the process, from concept to finished product. Our deep experience with UL, CSA, hazardous location, NSF, IDA, and many other industry-standard certifications ensures your end-users will receive a luminaire that meets the highest industry quality and safety standard.
Take advantage of our years of manufacturing expertise, global lighting supply chain, and industrial design knowledge of extreme environments to tailor a bespoke solution for your application.
Value of Custom LED Solutions:
- Custom lighting fixtures can be made to the exact metal alloy, shape and dimensions required.
- Wavelength specific LEDs can be incorporated into the final product.
- Lens design and photonics engineering can control the light beam.
- Specify specific colour temperature.
- Retain legacy fixtures and update them with new technology LEDs.
- Improve energy efficiency.
- Integrate colour changing into designs.
- Turnkey solutions including prototyping, system development, and pre-production.
Why Work with Nemalux?
- Products designed and manufactured in our own North American facility
- Concept to completion service, from initial design to full-scale production
- Detailed renderings of products and light studies to assure requirements are met prior to manufacturing
- Robust fixtures for hazardous and general locations
- Expertise in electronics, physics, mechanics, industrial and optic design
- Meticulous approvals and testing
We welcome low volume, specialized bespoke applications and handle all inquiries on a case-by-case basis for feasibility. We have the flexibility to handle small production runs and the experience, infrastructure, and supply chain to handle large ones numbering in the tens of thousands of units or more.
We work with clients to develop lighting models for the specified design. Detailed renderings of products and light studies assure requirements are met prior to prototyping. After prototyping, measured performance is compared to lighting models and any differences are noted and fed back into the iterative design process for design refinement.
For more complex bespoke designs, the prototype stage is important to validate that the client’s design actually meets all its specified design objectives. This is especially important when dealing with operating a luminaire within the novel and extreme environmental parameters that have not been implemented before. We work with you to build a working prototype that incorporates as many of the novel final functions as possible. Features that Nemalux has high confidence of working in the final production model are not tested at this stage and merely incorporated in the standard industrial design phase.
Custom Spectrum and Optical Engineering
- Wavelength-specific, spectrum engineering to design light spectra to match your exact application
- A broad range of LEDs for visible spectrum shaping from infrared to UV.
- Diverse specialized applications including disinfection, circadian rhythm & shift work, horticulture, custom building lighting, quality control inspection, scientific research
- Custom lens and photonic design to shape the light beam
- Design to accommodate and configure of multiple optical profiles/beam patterns
- Customized color temperature and CRI
Packaging & Case
- Choice of package materials and powder coatings for nonstick, food, marine, explosion-proof applications
- Aluminum extrusions for LED strip lighting
- Length determined by customer
- Ability to daisy-chain
- single color or color-changing capability
- ability to go around bends
- Case design for Dark Sky compliance option
- Integrated junction box for ease of wiring including multiple entries for thru wiring and daisy-chaining
- Physical separation between power and LED drivers, enclosures, components & accessories
- Custom heat dissipation fins optimized to dissipate heat
- Vented enclosure
- Portability and battery-powered options
- Metal core circuit boards for efficient heat dissipation
- Different power options: AC 120-277 VAC / 347-480VAC /12VDC / 24VDC
- Light engines designed with high efficiency LED drivers operating within optimal range achieving up to 100,000 hours of maintenance-free operation
- Access to a variety of patented LED bulb designs for larger architectural projects
- Remote and solar power supply option
- Rechargeable lead-acid, lithium Ion, or NiMH batteries
- Solar PV, TEG, or other power sources
- Charge regulator
- Pole mount and bracket hardware
- Remote control/monitoring
- We design autonomy for your application
Custom LED Driver
- Light levels up to 1,000,000 lumens and beyond
- Integration of large library of configurable optical profiles
- Range of Color Temperatures
- Range of CRI
- Digital programmable light level and color temperature input
- Daylighting option
- Other specialized microcontroller controlled functions
- Direct conduit
- Variety of articulated and straight poles
Turnkey Luminaire System
- Ready-to-install out of the box
- Ideal for rapid erection and tear down applications such as roadwork, plant maintenance, remote field inspection
- Includes luminaire, mounting pole, brackets, wiring, junction box
- Solar PV power option including PV panel, battery, charge regulator
- Industrial and extreme temperature range
- High vibration
- Ingress protection and high humidity
- Salt water erosion protection
- Explosive gas and dust / Hazardous Location
- Thermal management
Design for Standards Compliance and Certification
- Dark Sky (IDA)
- UL 1598 Marine
- Mil Spec
Other Customized Options
- Plug and Play LED connection – eliminates the need for wiring
- White Label Service – visit our contract manufacturing page for more info
Our experience in custom LED projects spans a variety of industrial sectors including hazardous location lighting for the petrochemical industry, lighting controls for advanced warning systems, wavelength-specific lighting for horticulture, health, scientific projects as well as aerospace applications. Beyond offering design, engineering, procurement, construction, and management services, Nemalux has the expertise to facilitate project management with short and long-term considerations for client and investor returns.
Remote Compressor Color Changing Warning Light
In 2009 in cooperation with an Oil & Gas group, Nemalux designed fixtures for installation in a remote compressor site. The installation consists of several white LED floodlights (XCANLED-DC) and colour-changing LED floodlights that serve as an early H2S warning system.
Nemalux provided a sophisticated custom control panel that receives information from the H2S sensors, interprets the readings, and translates the different parts per million levels into pre-programmed light signals. Colour changing floodlights (XCANLED) were installed inside and outside of the facility to provide an advanced warning system for the site operator. The exterior lights were outfitted with a frosted shroud (as can be seen in the following images) to be highly visible to the operator before entering the danger zone.
For more information on this custom project, click here.
Transit Bus – Driver controlled Traffic Signal Delay
The City of Calgary required a new control system for their drivers to give them extra time to go through a traffic light. By pressing a switch ahead of the traffic signal, the transit bus emits a signal which is received by the Opticom traffic light system mounted at the traffic post. The signal activates the transit priority system to provide the bus with additional time (green light) to proceed through the intersection safely. When the transit priority system is activated, the blue light indicator is turned ON to inform the bus driver that the request has been received and additional time will be provided to proceed through the intersection.
The City required a bus light indicator that could be implemented easily in the field with minimal time and labor investment. Previously the indicator lights were made on-site and modifications to signal cabinets were required to make them work. This method required 6 man-hours plus the cost of materials which was not effective. Nemalux was the only manufacturer who could fulfill the City Transit Authority’s requirement.
For more information, click here.
NASA Custom Wind Tunnel Lighting
One of the more challenging applications for lighting systems is the illumination of confined spaces. Such a challenge was presented to the Nemalux team by members of the NASA Ames Research Center. Built in 1956, the Unitary Plan Wind Tunnel at NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California is an impressive example of engineering and design. As part of the continuous improvement program, the facility has been testing a variety of LED systems to increase existing light levels, decrease maintenance cost and improve visibility for a wide range of cameras and sensors.
After a meticulous evaluation process, the XCANLED and GSLED fixtures have been selected for the project. Currently, the Wind Tunnel Division is using the XCANLED floodlights to provide general illumination inside the tunnel and linear low profile GSLED lights are replacing fluorescent fixtures inside the confined space surrounding the tunnel. In contrast with most options that have been evaluated, the Nemalux flood lights are able to maintain optimal case temperature when exposed to the low-pressure environment of the Wind Tunnel during normal operation. Special considerations were given to the lens selection for the linear lights. While preventing excessive glare, the GSLED linear lights deliver exceptionally high-quality light, allowing operators close proximity without experiencing glare discomfort. The low voltage operation of both fixtures provides additional safety to the NASA personnel and removes the dangers associated with high voltage lines in confined spaces. For more info, visit here.
Nemalux has been exploring the use of UV band LEDs for germicidal disinfection. Interest has grown since the covid-19 crisis. Visit our Germicidal disinfection page here.
Click above to see our full range of industrial LED lighting solutions and services.
Contact us with your lighting requirements and our team will work closely with you to design the perfect custom or OEM lighting solution.
Products of Interest for Custom Lighting Solutions
Nemalux Calgary Office Headquarters
1018 72nd Avenue NE, Calgary AB, Canada
+1 (877) 636-2589
Outcome of the Solution
- Improved Site Safety
- Better Visibility in all weather conditions
- Reduced Maintenance with Superior Product Reliability
- Dark Sky Compliance and reduced light trespass
- Lower Cost; Faster Delivery; Greater Support