Illumination of Rail Yards and Intermodal Shipping Facilities
Upgrading high-mast, area, and maintenance shop lights for Rail Yards and Intermodal Shipping Facilities require adherence to industry-specific guidelines to ensure safe and efficient operation during difficult weather and environmental conditions. Over the last decade, Nemalux has delivered many successful projects throughout Canada, replacing existing high-mast towers complete with lights, high-bay lights for maintenance shops, illuminating walkways, localized lighting for switches, train inspection areas as well as supporting the design and implementation of the entire lighting package for train loading terminals to transport Alberta crude to international markets.
Problem to Solve
- Poor Light Quality for Operations, Safety, and Security
- Complexity of Facility Upgrades
How we solve the problem(s) uniquely:
- Nemalux-Specific Fixture Design
- High-pressure die-cast aluminum housing with marine grade alloy, designed to safeguard power supply and diodes from overheating.
- Triple-layer, best-available, powder coat finish.
- Polycarbonate lenses seal the enclosure to withstand direct impact, extreme vibration, and corrosive materials.
- Nemalux Equalization Valve prevents internal condensation accumulation while maintaining an IP66/67 seal and hazardous location ratings.
- Higher Performing Optics
- 10+ Optic options that deliver results on-site
- Lumens are delivered in distribution patterns that save cost
- Mounting Options
- Nemalux mounting brackets are over-designed to prevent stress fractures and subsequent failures.
- Stainless steel fasteners are secured in place with thread locker to prevent loosening while allowing access for future upgrades.
- Mounts are designed so that fixtures can be mounted on wooden or metal structures.
- Customized solutions can be created for your site’s requirements.
- Permanent Install and Portable Lighting Options
- MR, XR, AR, ZLM etc. (permanent) or LS, BL (portable)
- Dark Sky Compliance
- Nemalux products have been verified as Dark Sky Compliant which ensures that light trespass to neighboring properties and sensitive environments is mitigated.
Illumination Recommendations for Safety and Operational Considerations (IESNA Handbook):
General Railroad Yard Illumination
- Average Horizontal Illuminance Recommendation: 10 Lux / 1 FC
- Average Vertical Illuminance Recommendation: 10 Lux / 1 FC
- Uniformity Ratio Recommendation (Max : Min) : < 10:1
Flat Switching Yard & Receiving Yard – Switching Points
- Average Horizontal Illuminance Recommendation: 20 Lux / 2 FC
- Average Vertical Illuminance Recommendation: 20 Lux / 2 FC
- Uniformity Ratio Recommendation (Max : Min) : < 10:1
Flat Switching Yard– Side of Cars
- Average Vertical Illuminance Recommendation: 50 Lux / 5 FC
- Uniformity Ratio Recommendation (Max : Min) : < 5:1
Outcome of the Solution (Why Choose Nemalux?)
- Improved Site Safety
- Better Visibility in all weather conditions
- Reduced Maintenance with Superior Product Reliability
- Dark Sky Compliance and reduced light trespass
- Lower Cost; Faster Delivery; Greater Support
Products of Interest
Rigorous design, testing, and refinement produced a fixture that can deliver over 33,000 lumens in a streamlined luminaire. The AR is 100% field serviceable parts, has a high CRI, and has an energy efficient design.
The AR has five different mounting styles, over 20 optics options, multiple colour temperatures, ability to dim and two input voltage options for maximize flexibility. This provides the opportunity to tailor each fixture to fit a range of applications.
Nemalux’s XR is built on the same design philosophy as our previous multi-purpose LED lights that can address a wide range of challenging applications in the light and heavy industrial workplaces. XRs are factory programmed to offer light outputs ranging from 8,000 to 20,000 lumen. Auto-ranging power supplies allow operation on 120-277 VAC or 347-480 VAC. Optional 0-10V dimming provides further opportunities for fine-tuned illumination results based on facility and operator preference.
The MR is a unique multi-functional, feature rich light fixture based on our rigorous design, prototyping, testing and refinement process. Using industry leading manufacturing practices, our engineers and industrial designers were able to produce a fixture that not only exceeds the expectations of an HID replacement, but establishes a new benchmark in versatility for industrial LED lighting.
Featuring one of the best lumen per pound ratios in the outdoor lighting segment, Nemalux’s ZLM series is a modular LED luminaire designed for projects requiring lights that can be mounted at heights ranging from 30 to 160 feet. Its modular configurations allow for a lumen output ranging from 28,000 (single) to 112,000 (quad). The ZLM series is an industrial, watertight (IP66) area lighting solution, designed for industrial and general locations.
The Nemalux BL LED fixture is a durable and robust linear luminaire designed to replace vapour tight fluorescent lights in industrial, marine, commercial and temporary shelter applications. The BL is available in 20W and 40W outputs and can be surface-mounted, suspended or mounted with an optional angle adjustable mount. With a projected lifespan of 60,000 hours and up to 4,400-lumen output, the BL is IP66 rated for indoor and outdoor applications.
Nemalux designed the LS for temporary applications for harsh and hazardous locations. The LS series LED fixture is a multi-head lighting stringer built for customizable lengths and LED units. Nemalux recognized that in rugged use, the cord is one of the most common points of failure. Nemalux designed the LS to allow for cord replacement extending the service life of the product. The LS can meet or exceeds OSHA recommended lighting levels when modules are spaced out at 8’ or less for a 9’ mounting height.
Click above to see our wide range of industrial LED lighting solutions and case studies.
To discuss your requirements with one of our LED Lighting experts, call or email us today.